Sunday, December 2, 2012

Faux Tin Puffy Star Ornament...

Hello Crafty Friends!!

Here is my first (maybe second or third) attempt at a tutorial (pics only) on how I made these rustic tin looking puffy stars with paper.  I have seen these all over (in the tin material) and they can get pretty pricey.















The other night I saw a wonderful pin on Pinterest and couldn't get it out of my head.  So I headed on over to the blog Thrive.  WOW!!!  She made some fabulous stars out of non other than baking tins!!!! Well I of course immediately became a follower, you should too!  (I will be stalking checking out more of her projects soon.  (You know, after the Christmas holiday decorating and crafting.)  hehe.

My idea was to use my Krafty paper to get that same effect of tin, so I proceeded to play with my inks to get the desired color I was looking for.  So here is what I came up with (also be aware that I didn't want to cut out all the stars by hand, so I used my handy dandy cutting machine and SCAL2) ;)

Please excuse my poor attempt at directions, lol.  I circled in red to help find the icons in SCAL2.  ( I am sure you are all savvy enough to figure this on your own, but just in case...)  :)

Here we go:

Step 1:
Open your SCAL2
(or whatever source you have for your cutting machine,
I am sure there is a star.)

Step 2:
Select the star icon.
Step 3:
Select Keep Proportions and resize to your desired
size.  Here I selected a 5" width star.
(You might want to adjust this size if you plan
to run through an embossing
folder.)
More on that later.
Step 4:
Right click on image and select copy.
(You can also Ctl C)
Step 5:
Ctl V or Paste
Then Cut
(You can add as many stars the will fit on the paper size you have.
I was using 8 1/2 x 11)

Look at all that wasted paper!! :)
JK, it won't go to waste on my watch.
Line up your star on your score tool as I have
(I always run a sharpie line in the groove
so it is easier for me to see the points.

Score all 5 points.

At this point you can ink and/or emboss
whatever you would like to get the desired effect
you are looking for.
(I have lots of samples to share in my next posting)
Oh yeah, I also punched my hole for my twine hook.
For the faux tin look I was going for I used only these
2 colors.
(you can use any brown or red you want)

Using the pad to paper technique, I applied my ink right to the
paper using the whole ink pad.
(It takes a little longer to dry, so give it a minute or two to dry
in between as to not contaminate your other color.)
Next I applied the red using the same technique above.
(Remember this makes it more wet and takes a bit to dry)
If you get fingerprints use a dobber to blend and
smooth them out.
Using my brown dauber I inked all the edges. 
Once it all dried I folded the peaks and valleys.  
I went back over the peaks with the brown dauber to
give it an aged appearance.
(Note to self: Next time do the valleys as well, oops)
Add your twine from front to back.
Tie a half over knot and trim the edges. 

And Voila!!!
Ready to hang on the tree, or attach to a gift for an
added little bonus gift.  :)



There you have it!  What do you think?  I hope you enjoyed my little attempt at a tutorial.  LOL!  I think I will have a glass of wine now.  HAHA!

Stay tuned for tomorrows post.  I will share with you some variations I made.  It was quite addicting since they were so easy to make.

Until then...


4 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful, Terri! Love the color choices, they really made them look like authentic tin! Great job on the tut!
    Thanks so much for joining us this week for the Catch the Bug Challenge! Hope to see you again!

    ((HUGS))
    Cheryl First
    aka Cafexpressions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. :)
      Hugs,
      Terri
      www.myneed2craft.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. Another great idea. Perfect to use those scrapes with. Love the beautiful color and look they have.
    Hugs, Rosalee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosalee. Thanks for the reminder of scraps, LOL! I forgot about those. ;) Off to make some more now. hehe!
      Hugs,
      Terri

      Delete

I love to hear from my Crafty Friends!

UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

UNDER CONSTRUCTION! MyNeed2Craft by Terri Deavers is currently undergoing some changes!  Stay tuned!